There are a ton of ebooks out there these days. Most of the sites I visit in my circle have at least one available.
My question is simple: Do you charge anything for your ebook?
If so, how much do you charge? On what criteria do you base that price? Is it the type of content? Is it the number of pages?
Pros and Cons
- Greater exposure for the content of the ebook
- Viewed as more community friendly (?)
- Gain names and email addresses for mailing lists, etc…
- No $
- No $
- Content viewed as less valuable
- It’s a lot of freakin’ work to put one of them bad bears together
- The potential to make some money
- If the ebook goes viral, then it could make a LOT of money
- Content seen as valuable
- Author/site credibility (?)
- Less exposure for the content
- Potential to drive away viewers
- Once you charge, you’re locked in. Even one sale precludes offering it for free
So this is the dilemma faced by ebook authors.
This post is not some lame attempt to drive comments or bring traffic. I honestly need to know what people think because this is an issue for me right now.
If you’ve published an ebook, what was your thought process in this regard?